Google+ Followers

Follow by Email

Thursday, March 17, 2016

Happy Saint Patrick's Day.

I'll be working, kind of like I always do, while the Irish are out eating Lucky Charms & getting hammered. Or the want to be Irish doing the Corn beef & cabbage & green beer. I'm not knocking it, I'm just poking fun.

I can't stand Corn beef & cabbage though, even if I smell it, I want to gag. Many years ago, I was helping my Grandfather & Dad, to cut down this tree for this old gal. I was a kid & we did it for her, as a favor & we got to keep the wood, which my Grandfather use to burn in his Ben Franklin. After spending the whole day doing the grunt work, I was just ready to go home (because I was going to have to unload all this wood when we got there) But no...it was Saint Patrick's Day & she wanted us to come in & have some Corn beef & cabbage.

I politely declined, but my Dad, said, oh hell no...You will eat some & show respect.

Well, of course I did, & I then proceeded to throw up as soon as I made it outside. (Hey, I tried to tell them I didn't want any) I got a few whacks upside the head for being a puss & they made fun of me all the way home. I still had to unload all the wood & stack it as well.

Now, everyone's taste buds change & as we age. We find that foods we hated in our youth, taste pretty decent later. I discovered Ruebans later on & liked sauerkraut on it (I hated sauerkraut as a kid) It is the cabbage that punked me back then. I liked slaw & still do, but because of that day, when I was retching so hard I thought my bunghole was going to come out, I won't even try it. Even though I might like it. Screw that. As a grown man, no one can make me eat anything I don't want to. So, I think that declining corn beef & cabbage is my way of reminding me that I don't have to do anything anymore, that I don't want to.

My last wife, would eat sauerkraut straight out of the can. Damn German had the worse gas on the planet when she did that. Didn't take many Dutch ovens from her ass for me to gratefully sleep on the couch when she did so.