Google+ Followers

Follow by Email

Thursday, June 30, 2016

Doing whats right....

Well, at least the bees are enjoying the flowers at the house as much as I am.

They had a gal retire yesterday, over 40 years fighting the good fight. People who have never been raised with that work ethic (and there are plenty around) will never understand why folks like us (oh yeah, I'm including myself in this bundle) put up with the crap that we do.

It's basically because it is the right thing. Either you get it, or no amount of explanation will ever cause you to have an Epiphany. Others take advantage of us, because they just rely on us doing the right thing. Most of the time, we never get any recognition for being the person every one can rely on.

I was at Caseys yesterday, filling up the truck & heading into crackhead land. There was this old guy who had a cane & was standing there as the other younger guys ignored him & were too busy wanting to get their shit & go. I was standing behind these guys as they took no notice of him & when the second cashier finished with the person she was dealing with, I would have been the next person. I motioned to him to take my place & go in front of me. He told me, I have all day, you have to go to work....

I told him, please, go ahead, I'm in no hurry. She waited on him as I stood there (and he was checking lottery tickets & getting some more) After a bit, he walked off & I stepped up to pay for my gas.

The cashier said, I really think what you did was nice, letting him go in front of you. I didn't think anyone was paying attention to us talking. She said, most of the time, people are rude in here & they would have made him wait his turn. I told her, well, I try to do the right thing most of the time, as long as I'm paying attention I usually do. She said, well it is nice to see that there are some people who still are decent. And she told me to have a nice day. I smiled & told her, I already have.

Doing what is right, as opposed to what is self serving, is something I try to do everyday, but it was nice to have someone acknowledge it. Then I went into work & threw the door mat cover on.

You win some, you lose some.